Students on road to press home their 8 point demand
University of Professionals (BUP) was killed as a reckless bus of Suprovat Paribahan ran him over at Nodda near Basundhara Residential Area in the capital when Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) is observing the Traffic Week.
The deceased identified as Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury was a student of International Relations Department of BUP. The incident sparked heavy protest and students of several universities are demonstrating on roads. They have come down to the roads to press home their eight-point demand including capital punishment for the driver of the bus.
Abrar Ahmed was crashed between two reckless buses while crossing the road at around 7 am on Tuesday at Kuril Biswaroad area. After the accident he died on the spot.
It was known that, a bus of BUP came there to take the students of the university. The accident took place when Abrar, a resident of Basundhara area, was crossing the road.
Abrar’s father was present on the spot. But he could not save his son. Abrar’s father was standing at one end and Abrar was crossing the road to catch the university bus.
After the incident students of different universities blocked the road in front of Basundhara Residential Area main gate and began to demonstrate.
Dhaka North City Corporation Mayor Atiqul Islam came to the spot of demonstration and assured the students but they said that they will not stand aside from the road.
The students at that time placed 8-point demand to the media personnel. The demands are-
- Transport sector have to be made free of political influence. Necessary papers including licenses of bus drivers have to be checked in every month.
- The detained driver and other associated have to be brought under punishment as soon as possible.
- Vehicles without fitness certificate and drivers without license have to be removed from today.
- Underpass, speed breaker and foot over bridge have to be made in all risky and necessary places.
- The people involved in road killing have to be brought under strict law.
- Necessary steps have to be taken for stopping reckless driving and for setting up bus stops and passengers’ shade.
- Have to start half fare and separate buses for students.
- Permanent removal of persons from administration and police for negligence of duties.
Meanwhile, huge traffic congestion is created in different areas including Rampura, Badda, Kuril, Bishwaroad areas as students have taken their position on road.